On January 19th, 2017, we will hold our second Board of Directors election. The position and election are open to Milwaukee Food Council members only. We strongly encourage you to consider joining as a member and self-nominating to join this dynamic board.
The job description, which will be reviewed and discussed at our next general meeting is:
With an estimated time requirement of about 6 hours a month, MFC Board members provide leadership for Milwaukee Food Council (MFC) activities, which includes:
– attending bi-monthly, MFC full-member meetings (6 per year)
– attending and actively participating in bi-monthly, MFC Board meetings (6 per year), this includes participation in at least one board committee
– prompt email follow-up and participation
– being an active resource for MFC working groups and committees
Members of the MFC Board of Directors will serve two year terms, beginning when they are elected and ending when a new board member has been elected in their place. These elections typically occur in January.
MFC board candidates must have completed the member application and fee payment prior to submitting their nomination. The MFC relies upon the democratic process to elect the most qualified candidates from our membership. As a guideline, well qualified MFC Board members will likely display a history of commitment to the MFC mission to convene a coalition of diverse stakeholders committed to building a food system that is healthy, ecologically sustainable, economically vibrant, culturally relevant and socially just. This may include:
– attendance at MFC full-member meetings
– participation in MFC work groups or committees
– advocating on behalf of MFC to the general public
– engaged in work which aligns well with the MFC mission
MFC values diversity in all of its forms as it appears throughout the Milwaukee community, and we are seeking to provide leadership that reflects this diversity. We encourage MFC members to elect a Board of Directors that reflects, as best as possible, the diversity of our city.
This position is not compensated monetarily or otherwise.
2017 Meeting Schedule
Running for the board of directors indicates a commitment to attend the bi-monthly full MFC meetings as well as bi-monthly MFC Board meetings, currently held the same day of the month as the full MFC meetings. All meetings require in-person attendance by all board members and are held within the City of Milwaukee.
Self-Nomination Process and Election Timeline
At our October board meeting, an ad-hoc nominations committee was formed. We will share more information about the nomination process and election timeline at our November full MFC meeting and subsequently post information on our website and facebook page. Please note the following timeline for the election:
– November Full Council meeting: Discussion of job description and election process
– December 15th: Membership and self-nomination application due
– December board meeting: Confirm ballot and post/share nominees
– January Full Council meeting: Election to be held at 10am on the morning of January meeting. Election is open to members only. Membership applications may be submitted up until the election.
HOW TO SUBMIT YOUR SELF NOMINATION FOR THE BOARD:
To nominate yourself for the board you must first complete the Membership Application and payment. Then simply send an email by Thursday, December 15th to email@example.com with the following information:
1) Your full name and nickname, if any. (profile photo optional)
2) Any relevant affiliations, awards, accomplishments, etc.
3) Brief statement indicating your historical relationship to the Milwaukee Food Council and/or food system work.
4) Why you are a good candidate for the MFC Board of Directors
5) Brief statement indicating your ability to attend Milwaukee Food Council Full and Board Meetings for the next two years (2017 schedule listed in job description online). For example, if you know there is a meeting you will be unable to attend, please make that known. Note that you are still encouraged to nominate yourself even if you know you cannot attend all meetings, just please be forthcoming about your ability to attend.
Candidate information will be sent out on December 20th, in preparation for elections which will take place during the annual meeting on January 19th, 2017.
List of 2017 full MFC meetings is here:
List of 2017 MFC board meetings is here: