MFC Board Meeting Minutes
June 22, 2017 (rescheduled from June 15 for lack of quorum)
Summerfield United Methodist Church
Present: Stephanie Calloway, Damian Coleman, Martha Davis-Kipcak, Catherine Draeger (departed 9:42), Kristin Fledderjohn, Bonnie Halvorsen, Barbara Richards, Nya Taryor, Erika Villafuerte, Pahuoa Xiong
Absent: Antoine Carter, Marie Jewell, Dawn Powell
Guest: Tony Farrell (arrived 9:44)
- Meeting called to order at 8:42 by Stephanie Calloway
- Gathering and Check-in: Summer travel or other things to which you are looking forward.
- Review/approve April BOD minutes and May general meeting notes
- Add URLs from Steve Ventura’s presentation. Martha moved to approve May general meeting notes, Barbara seconded. Motion carries with unanimous approval.
- Add sentence regarding evening meeting times. Bonnie moved to approve April BOD minutes, Martha seconded. Motion carries with unanimous approval.
- Executive Committee Report (chair Stephanie Calloway)
- Bonnie is creating a Policy Register. It will include all policies approved by BOD. We will discuss at August board meeting.
- Board members must renew memberships.
- Kristin relayed interesting interaction with local law firm inquiry.
- Policy Committee Update (chair Bruce Wiggins)
- Bruce attended last gathering of Board (non-quorum) regarding Growing Power Hoophouse network in Milwaukee. Discussion on creating a partnership with MFC members, City of Milwaukee and Growing Power. Brian Sales is the Growing Power contact.
- Bruce discussed Evergreen Cooperatives of Cleveland (evgoh.com), and that Milwaukee has adopted a resolution to pursue a similar economic development model. Other worker co-ops are in Japan and Cuba. City Council has passed a resolution to adopt such a model for Milwaukee.
- Food and the Wisconsin Idea
Greg Lawless has extended an invitation to attend and participate in the June 29 event located at UW-Madison. Board members volunteering to attend are Stephanie and possibly Barbara.
- Discussion on Engagement (Tony Farrell, website host, invited)
- Follow-up from May general meeting (surveys, website engagement, etc.)
- Discussion of fundraising opportunities: advertising, sponsors, etc.
- Idea for July 6th Global Kitchen event activity. Thursday July 6 at 10:30am. Potential for outreach. Tabling located outside the exhibit. Need a few people to sit at table from 10am to 12pm. Barbara volunteered. Damian will engage the Engagement Committee for volunteers. Kristin will create a flyer for upcoming meetings.
- Barbara will put our events on other calendars MEC Connect (Milwaukee Environmental Consortium) and Rid Racism websites.
- Possibly invest in a printed, mailed newsletter. Could be hand delivered at Body & Soul neighborhood.
- Erika’s daughter, Angelica, is available to serve as a social media intern. Erika will talk with her about an opportunity to serve as MFC intern.
- A “Why” Conversation follow-up (Tabled)
- July MFC General Meeting details:
- Thursday July 20, 5-7pm at United Methodist Children’s Services 39th and Lisbon. Food will be provided, sourced as locally as possible.
- Focus: Have Tricklebee provide food. Possibly have Christine Melby Gibbons or Dave Boucher of Amaranth as presenter.
- Welcome Orientation to be determined.
- Adjourned at 11:09.